It's Eggplant time for JFI which was started by Indira from Mahanandi and this month's host is Sangeeta from "Ghar Ka Khana" blog.Thanks for choosing my favorite vegetable and for hosting JFI too Sangeeta!:))
I made this for RCI Maharashtra,but then I heard about Eggplants for JFI.Of course,I had to save it!;D This is my favorite dish ,tastes great with Rice rottis or Parathas.With that little touch of cloves,it makes it to the Gourmet level!!;D
3-4 medium sliced long purple Eggplants,cilantro.
1/4 cup coconut fresh or dry, 1 large onion, 1 tbsp coriander seeds, 2-3 red chllies,few peppercorns, 4 cloves, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, salt to taste, 2 tsp thick tamarind juice, 1/2 tsp sugar.
2 tbsp oil and ghee, 1 onion minced,few curry leaves.
How to make it:
1. Fry the coconut, onion, coriander seeds, peppercorns ,chillies and cloves each separately to a reddish color and grind together with tamarind,turmeric ,sugar to a coarse paste.
2. Heat 2 tbsp oil and ghee and add onion and curry leaves ,fry 1 minced onions to almond color. Add Eggplants, salt and turmeric. Cover tightly and cook without adding water over a low heat till half-cooked and shiny.
3. Mix in the coconut paste, and simmer for 5-10 mins covered on low heat.Make sure Eggplants are cooked but not mushy. Remove from the heat.
4. Garnish with cilantro and serve with Parathas or Rice rotis.
Thai Eggplants in Red curry paste:
A delectable dish,this is an easy Thai style vegetarian red curry.Traditionally,beef and Shrimp paste is added to the Eggplant sauce but I skipped meat here and made it with just Eggplants.Tastes delicious with rice.Enjoy.
For Red Curry Paste:
Toast 2 tsp coriander seeds, 2 tsp cumin seeds, seeds from 3 cardamom pods, 2-3 red chilies, chopped, 1/4 tsp peppercorns, grind these with little water, two garlic, 1 small onion chopped, 1 inch ginger, 2 tbsp tomato paste, 2 tsp of tamarind juice, 1 lemon grass, sliced, 1/8 cup cilantro stems(not leaves), few basil leaves, salt, 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg, 1/4 tsp ground mace to a smooth paste.Keep aside. 1/2 cup coconut milk + 1/2 cup water.(1 tsp Shrimp paste is optional)Green onion and cilantro for garnish.
To make Eggplant curry, you need:
One Big Purple Eggplant(US style) or 3-4 long purple ones cubed into big pieces,1 small onion minced,cilantro and green onions for garnish.
1. Heat 3 tbsp oil, fry 1 onion minced until reddish, add 3-4 cups of cubed eggplants, and stir-fry for 5 minutes.
2. Add ground paste to the pan,fry until oil shows up on top and the Eggplants are cooked but still firm without adding water.
3. Turn down the heat,add 1/2 cup coconut milk ,1/2 cup water and salt ,simmer for 2 mins until the raw smell from coconut milk disappears.
4. Garnish with cilantro, green onions and serve with rice.
Hyderabadi Bagharey Baingan:
Every Indian have their own blend of spices for this classic dish of course,here is mine.I love it with Rice rottis but tastes so good with Parathas too.This recipe is from Bilkees Latif, and she says it's a popular Hyderabadi Muslim dish which is always served at the weddings.Sounds good to me,tasted great too!
6-8 small round eggplants, 2 onions (finely sliced), 2 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tbsp poppy seeds, 2 tsp Fennel seeds, 2 tbsp peanuts,1 tbsp sesame seeds, 1 tbsp coriander powder, 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds, 2" cinnamon, 1 cardamom ,seeded,1 tsp chironji (melon seeds), 1/4 dry coconut, 1 tbsp tamarind juice, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp red chili powder, salt.
3 tbsp oil, 1 tsp ghee,2 tsp each ginger and garlic ground,1 tbsp tamarind juice, few curry leaves,salt.
1. Remove stem from eggplants and make four slits down the sides from the top keeping the stem intact.
2. Fry onions until reddish, dry roast all the other spices separately and grind all these to a smooth paste.
3. Mix this paste with salt, chili powder, and stuff the paste in the slits of each eggplant.Save any extra spices left over.
4. Heat 3 tbsp oil and 1 tsp ghee, fry ground ginger, garlic, curry leaves add saved masala paste for 2 minutes.
5. Add stuffed eggplants and fry on low heat, turning gently so they get fried all over evenly. Add tamarind pulp, 1/4 cup of water and simmer until eggplants are cooked,shiny and the sauce is almost dry.
6. Serve garnished cilantro and with some parathas.
Other Eggplant dishes I have made before:
(I told you it's raining Eggplants already!!;D)
Another version of Vang Bhaat!:)
From my front yard:
That Ceramic frog was handmade by one of my husband's patients and was gifted to us.It is beautiful and looks perfect in our front yard!:)
My homegrown veggies!
I have Green beans, Cherry Tomatoes,Banana peppers,Bell peppers, Cucumbers,Red and green Amaranth leaves and an Eggplant sprouting out!!I am so happy!!! Most of all I had planted Ridge Gourd seeds and they have sprouted too! Click on the image to make it larger.Unfortunately,my snake gourd seeds haven't sprouted yet,will update later.
Have a great weekend all you gals and guys! I will see you next Wednesday from a surprise location!:))