Breathtaking Oak Hollow Lake in my small home town:
Oak Hollow Golf Course:)
Breakfast is a much neglected meal. During the weekdays , most of us usually grab some cereal or toast with a glass of juice and a hasty cup of coffee before we start our routine work! We are all at home for the weekend, relaxed and sleeping in, wake up around 10am, hungry as heck ,right?:) So I thought, why not cook a variety of dishes to give you some ideas for Brunch! I know it's little too early for planning for weekend brunch but hey,I am doing all the thinking to make it easy for you:)You can always dream at your work place on a wednesday for weekend brunch,can't you?:)
Shhh...don't cry now,ya hear!..I know y'all want to smack me up the head for posting these on a weekday:D:D Deeeeep breaths now..yessss, that's it!!!! Phew!:))
Look what Isha Reddy from Australia, a would be Dentist,took time to create! See "foodie's hope" on the chef hat? So sweet! Thank you darling Isha!! I love it!! Hugz to you :))
Here are: some veg and non-veg dishes. You can skip meat and make it veg, or get creative and improvise on your own to make a decent meal combining breakfast and lunch to create a great and delightfully informal brunch! They also make a quick weekday lunch or dinner as well when you come home tired, and would want a quick meal! Enjoy and let me know how did you like them.These recipes are mostly for two servings, double it if you need more.These are also perfect for all you single souls out there with big appetite:)) Enjoy my style brunch dishes!
Let me start with a quick Indian brunch:This is a breakfast dish, a Indian version of scrambled eggs with what else but Indian spices and served with toasted bread slices:)
1. Beat 3-4 eggs with 1tbsp of milk, pinch of salt.Keep aside.
2. Heat 2 tsp of butter or oil, add 3tbsp minced onions, 3tbsp chopped green bell pepper, 1 jalepeno or 1/8 tsp chilli flakes, 2 tbsp grated carrots, saute until they soften.Add 1/4 tsp of turmeric,1/2 tsp each cumin pd and coriander seeds powder, pinch of garam masala,( if you don't have all these, add 2 tsp ready made curry pd), 2tbsp cilatro.You can add 3 tbsp chopped tomato now to saute or add a little lemon juice just before serving.
3. Add beaten eggs and keep stirring until it's almost dry/still moist. Serve sprinkled with 1 tbsp spring onions, cilantro and with toast.
A warm Chick peas and veg Soup for a cold day:
1. Heat 1tbsp butter, add 1/2 big onion chopped, 1 garlic minced, 1/2 cup each of cubed carrots,green beans, potatoes, broccoli, spinach ,peas if you like and saute all until soft,almost cooked.Add 3 cups of veg stock/broth or water,1 tomato chopped,1 can 15oz chick peas and boil for 5-10 mins.Turn down the heat.
2. Season with lemon-pepper or just pepper, 1 tsp cumin pd, some parsley,1/4 tsp each dry Thyme and Rosemary or any herbs you like.Salt if needed,stock has salt already.If you use water,go ahead and add salt.Simmer until butter shows on top.
3.Serve in a bowl garnished with fresh dill or chives and with a crusty roll to scoop up all that soupy goodness!:)
A Cool Cucumber-yoghurt Soup for a hot day:
1.Cut an end piece og one cucumber,peel and seed the rest,cut into cubes and put that in a blender.Chop 2tbsp red or white onion, peel,chop 1 garlic add to the blender with cucumber and make into a paste with little yoghurt first.
2. When everything is smooth, add 1 cup fat free yoghurt,4 tbsp fat free sour cream,salt and pepper, few mint leaves and dill leaves and blend again.
3. Serve in a bowl garnished with some chives,saved cucumber pieces and a dash of pepper freshly ground.You can add some croutons if you wish for texture. That's it.
Southwestern Corn Fritters with Sweet and Tangy Chilli Sauce:
To make sauce; mix 1/4 cup Rice vinegar,1/2 tsp salt,2 tbsp or more sugar, 1 fresh red chilli minced or 1/4 tsp dry red chili flakes,1 garlic minced and microwave it until sugar dissolves and gets thicker.Adjust sugar and salt.
1. Mix 1/4 cup each rice flour and plain flour,1/8 tsp baking pd,1/4 tsp salt,1/2 tsp cumin pd,1/2 tsp coriander seeds pd,1 tsp lemon juice,1 egg is optinal, 1 cup corn kernels,canned is okay,2 tbsp each chopped cilantro and spring onions, mix with a fork adding just water to make a thick batter.
2. Heat a non-stick pan,rub some butter, add 1 tbsp of batter and flatten to a 3" circle.cook until golden both sides and serve with tangy sauce.
Mini Meatloaf stuffed with boiled Eggs and cheesy steak potato fries:
For Cheese Fries: Bake 1/2lb steak potato fries in the oven until crisp and golden, sprinkle 1 cup Cheddar or any cheese you like on top and 1 tsp of any Mrs.Dash spice,put in the oven just until it melts.Take it out.
1. Hard boil 2 eggs,peel the shell and keep aside.Preheat the oven to 375F.
2. Mix 1lb ground beef or any meat you like,1 beaten egg, 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce,1/4 cup mix of minced onions ,grated carrots and green bell pepper,2-3tbsp bread crumbs, 2tbsp tomato sauce or ketchup ,salt and pepper well.
3. Spray a 6x4 loaf pan and line with foil,fill halfway with meat.Place two whole eggs sideways and fill up with meat again to cover it completely.Spoon some ketchup on top and put in the oven, bake for 50-60 mins.
3. Let it stand for 10 mins and cut into four slices cutting into the egg inside.
4. Serve with cheesy fries and tomato slices.
Veg version: Use mashed potatoes and veggies with spices and place Koftas inside!
English Muffins topped with Egg salad and Salsa Chicken:
Toast 4 halves of 2 English muffins until crisp,keep aside.
Egg salad: Mix 2 hard boiled chopped roughly, 1-2tbsp Mayonnaise, 1 tbsp green spring onion, 1 tsp relish (optional),salt , pepper well and pile up on two halved and toasted slices of English muffins equally,splash some hot sauce and serve with a hot cup of coffee. You can use tuna or salmon flakes instead of eggs.
Salsa Chicken: Slice one big chicken breast in two and then slice each piece into two crossways to make 4 thin slices. Heat some butter in a non-stick skillet and place 4 pieces of chicken ,cook both sides until cooked and golden, add salt and pepper.Place a square pieces of any cheese on muffin slices ,broil until it melts, place two chicken pieces and top with salsa or any spices you like,some parsley or oregano. Serve with salad.
A Savory Pastrami and Provolone French Toast and a sweet Cream Cheese and Strawberry French Toast :
Sweet first: Heat a non-stick skillet,apply little butter.Beat 1-2 eggs with 1 tsp sugar pd,2 tbsp milk, 1/2tsp cinnamon pd on a plate and use it to soak the sweet French toast.
Mix 1/4 cup cream cheese with 1/2tbsp sugar and apply on a thick slice of Cinnamon-raisin bread, and a layer of any jam you like,cover with another slice,press to seal.Dip in egg mixture for few seconds each side and carefully lift and place it on the skillet.Fry until golden both sides and cut into half and serve sprinkled with sugar powder.
Savory Next: Beat 1-2 eggs with 1tbsp milk, salt and any herbs or spices you like and keep aside. With 2 slices any plain bread, place slices of Pastrami slices or any meat, slice of Provolone or any some relish or sauce inside,cover with another slice,press. Soak in savory egg mix and toast both sides to golden and cut in half and serve with some olives or salad.
You can skip soaking in egg mix for this , just fry in little butter on both sides.
Orange Chicken with veg Chow Mein:
Make Sauce: Mix 1 tsp orange zest,1/2 cup orange juice,1tbsp soy sauce,1 tbsp worcestershire sauce,1tbsp brown sugar,1/2 tsp mustard pd or chili flakes for heat,1/4 tsp each garlic pd and ginger pd,1tsp chinese five spice pd,1/2 tbsp or more corn starch and 1/4 cup water well.Take out 3tbsp of sauce for noodles and Keep the rest aside.
1. Chop 1 big chicken breast inti 2" cubes. Heat 1tbsp butter, sprinkle 1 tbsp plain flour,fry for few mins and add chicken and cook until coated and almost cooked.
2. When reddish, add orange sauce ,simmer until thick and shiny. Sauce should be clinging onto the meat.Adjust the seasoning.
To make Chow Mein:Cook 1/2lb spaghetti or vermicelli noodles,drain and mix with butter to prevent sticking.Heat butter in a pan, add 4" long thinly sliced veggies like Zucchini,carrots,green beans,spring onions anything you like and stir-fry until fried,add saved orange sauce and cooked Noodles and saute until thick.
3. Serve with Orange chicken and Spring roll.
Note: Instead of adding Orange sauce to noodles, you can add soy sauce,pepper,1 tsp balsamic vinegar,little garlic pd and stir fry just until mixed.Soy sauce contains lot of salt unless it's sodium frree, be careful when seasoning the dishes.
Seven Layer Tacos with Guacamole`:
1. Grill 2 6-8" Tortilla until crisp.Take it out ,sprinkle 3 tbsp grated Colby and Monterey cheese and cool.Place Tortilla on a plate and start to build layers.
2. To build the layers, apply 3-4 tbsp of re-fried beans or ground beef chili on the top of the melted cheese to cover the Tortilla ,sprinkle chopped lettuce,chopped tomato or 2 tbsp hot salsa, onion pieces,cilantro,few jalapenos,dollops of sour cream.
3. Sprinkle some salt and cheese again if you like and serve with Guacamole` on the side. Enjoy the delicious seven layer Taco.
To make Guacamole`:
Take one big ripe Haas Avocado,peel and seed.Add to the blender with 1-2 tsp lemon juice to prevent discoloration.Add 1 garlic or 1/2 tsp garlic pd,some cilantro,1/2 chopped onion,salt,1-3 jalapenos and blend just enough to mix everything to a rough paste or just mash all these with a fork in a bowl for authentic looking Guacamole.
You could also add tomato pieces and 1/2 tsp cumin pd as optional additions.
Take out in a bowl and serve with Tortilla chips or slather some on open faced tacos.
Would you like to try Linda's Cornish Pasties (Pass-tees)for a delicious brunch?!:)
Cornish Pasties ( Makes about 6 Pasties)
For the crust,you Need:
2 - 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 c shortening (crisco )
1/8 cup milk, just enough to form the dough
For the filling:
1/2 - 1 lb lean, tender sirloin,
1 medium Rutabaga
1 medium onion
2-3 large carrots
1-2 large red potatoes
Any spices or/and herbs you like
salt and pepper
Eggwash for baking:
1 whole egg or egg white mixed with 2-3 Tbsp water
Preheat oven to 350 F.
1. Mix flour and salt. Now add in the shortening and mix with your fingertips until it looks crumbly. Add milk, little by little just enough to get a firm dough. Divide the into 6 pieces equally and cover the dough to prevent drying and keep it aside.
2. Cut the sirloin 1/4" pieces, and cut peeled vegetables into uniform size,about 1/4" pieces as well .You can cook vegs for 5 mins in the microwave with little water until little tender so you don't have to worry about whether they are cooked in the oven, specially the Rutabagas. Making sure you don't have any liquid with meat or veggies, mix all the ingredients with any spices , herbs you like ,salt and pepper to taste. Divide into 6 portions.
3. Roll out a dough ball to 1/4" thick circle about 8" in diameter.Place these on a baking sheet lined with wax paper .Put one portion of filling,a pat of butter, fold one half over and seal both edges with water and press with fork to seal. Brush with egg wash all over the pasties. Prick the top with fork to make tiny holes. Repeat with the remaining dough balls.
4. Bake for 50mins to 1 hour or until the crust is golden. Cool on a wire rack.Serve hot or cold with any sauce you like.
Click here for a quick brunch! Chilli Chicken with Pita bread :
Here another brunch idea! My Masala eggs with Green peas rice:
No, I did not make all these dishes in one day but a collection of what I cooked during the last few weeks!! I am not THAT crazy :D:D Enjoy!! Have a great weekend and cook some of these brunch dishes and see you all next week!:)
November 08, 2006
Breathtaking Oak Hollow Lake in my small home town: