Mysore Masale Dose!!
What more can I say about this world popular dish? No need to write any more. What makes masala dose Mysore style? We brush some chutney powder or red hot chutney on dosa before we put the potato palya on top.
Here's my way. This dosa is made of Rava,so you get a good looking masala dosa if not better but tastier and crispier than regular good old rice and urad dal dosa batter in my opinion and better served best toasty right out of the griddle/Tava!!
But you can use any kind of dosa batter you like, 1tbsp of Rava and 1 tbsp Besan added to the regular fermented urad rice dosa batter an hour before making dosas works very well too.
In Mysore, you get what's called 'Plain Dosa' which is served just with chutney without masala inside , my favorite kind as a young girl! Now enough of nostalgia, let's begin:
1 Cup Fine Rava (Semolina or cream of wheat)
3 tbsp plain flour,
1 1/2 Cup Water
2 tsp Plain Yogurt
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
Mix all and rest the batter for 30mins but never more than 2 hours.It gets lumpy.Let the batter be thinner than usual dosa batter to make it easy to spread.
Meanwhile , prepare potato filling as below. Prepare chutney.
POTATO FILLING(Alugedde` Palya):
Please click here for the recipe of dry potato bhaji filling.
CHANA DAL CHUTNEY:
Please click here to my recipe for Chana dal chutney.
TO MAKE MASALA DOSA:
1. Heat tava,cast iron is best. If it sticks switch to nonstick pan or even better electric pancake griddle. Smear some oil,pour a ladle full of the batter from outside to the middle to make a thin 6-8" circle. Make sure batter is thinner than usual if you are using rava batter.
2. Dribble some oil or ghee, cover with a lid and cook on one side until bottom is crispy and golden.
3.You can sprinkle chutney pd on top if you like. I didn't as you can see.
4. Put a portion of potato filling and fold in half or both sides into the middle over the filling or into a triangle as the restaurants do!
5.Finally, serve with chutney, any kind you like.
Here is another way to fold Masale dose:
Plain Dosa With Green Coconut Chutney:
Use the same dosa batter as above and make dosas until they are crisp.Do not filling but serve with green coconut chutney. Delicious!
Green Coconut Chutney:
This is how you make it:
1. Grind 1 cup fresh Coconut,2-4 roasted green chillies,2tbsp yellow roasted chana dal (Hurokadale),small amount of tamarind,1/2" ginger,handful of fresh cilantro,few curry leaves,1 garlic and enough water to a smooth paste.
2. Heat 1tbsp oil,add 2tsp Urad dal,1 tsp mustard seeds,curry leaves,1 dry red chilli and when reddish , add to the chutney.Mix well.
Now relax and enjoy the delicious Masala Dosas!!
August 02, 2006
Mysore Masale Dose!!